Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Watching Cats

Last week tiny Miss Dumpling had her first litter of kittens.  She is only one year old and can be forgiven for her lack of experience in picking a safe spot to give birth.  Possibly the labor pains came on her suddenly or maybe she just wanted to stay cool in this Oklahoma heat wave we’re having, but I found the new family of 5 right on the edge of our little goldfish pond.   You can see her little calico face peeking out under this ornamental grass left of the frog.




I could just envision the little ones venturing out in a couple weeks and falling promptly in the pond, but before I could get very worried, she had moved them nearer to the house.  The next day I found them on the other side of the house.  Then in the tongue of a hay trailer and today she has outsmarted me completely and I can’t find them at all!

Our other farm cat mama, Mrs. Morgan, was always much more predictable.  Her maternity route was barn loft…brick pile…euonymus shrub. And when I called “kitty, kitty” she always answered me and gave away her position.

I have a feeling it’s going to be more difficult to keep track of these new kittens and get them gentled down for new owners, but it will be a bit of adventure and mystery, both of which I usually enjoy.

I did have an unsettling adventure with a cat of a different breed a few years ago, though.  As I was returning from a walk one evening, I saw a big black cat run across our country road into some tall CRP (Conservation Reserve Program) grass.  It was much larger than my black tomcat; more the size of a big bobcat, but it had a long tail that curved down and almost touched the road as it ran. 

I hurried home to the computer and looked up wild cats.  The only photo that really matched was that of a black leopard or jaguar, sometimes wrongly called a black panther. Neither of these is supposed to live in Oklahoma, however.  





I told a couple hunter friends about my sighting and they tried to convince me it was probably just a big domestic tom cat or a bobcat and that the evening light had distorted its size and color. And could I just have imagined that long tail?

From then on, though, I kept a careful watch when I was walking!  I didn’t see him again for a couple years.  Then one evening about dusk, he ran across the road only 20 feet in front of my car.  I got a real good look this time!

When my husband Bob and I talked to a local game ranger friend, he did acknowledge there were other similar reports, but he wouldn’t confirm there could actually be a beast like this here in northwest Oklahoma.  Finally, however,  Bob and I both saw him this year about a mile from our house, crossing the highway.  He does exist!

Did he escape from a zoo somewhere?  Was someone trying to raise him as a pet and gave up?  Could he have been part of a government relocation project? I don't know.  I just hope he continues to be afraid of us and always runs fast in the opposite direction.  I like cats, but I can do without this wild kingdom type adventure again.

Today I'll resume the search for Mrs. Dumpling's family.  I want to find them and know them better.  I would prefer, however, that their black cousin stays well hidden somewhere... for a very long time!


No comments:

Post a Comment