Thursday, January 19, 2012

Puzzling

At Christmas time our family often does a puzzle together.  At least the feminine side do. At game half-times the guys might come around and fit in a piece here and there but they lose interest quickly.

It is a fun holiday activity that lends itself to easy conversation and relaxation, but there is one problem...I enjoy doing it so much that I keep on puzzling into January all by myself!  On long wintry evenings I can half watch a ball game with Bob or carry on a good conversation while I puzzle on the dining room table. 

I buy most of my puzzles at the Kiowa General Thrift Store for 25 or 50 cents, and occasionally I find some good buys on Ebay, so it's cheap recreation. 



Clair's Cove by Holodook


I guess I like to keep my hands busy and puzzling is usually a satisfying and easy activity. But there are some fiendish puzzlemakers out there who use the same design elements like this gray brickwork above in several different places on the picture.  In the Traditional Belgium Sweet Shop puzzle the frustating creator even did 4 of the exact same building with slightly different puzzle cuts!  I'm not overly fond either of some puzzles where all the pieces are basically the same size and cut.




My all time favorite (below) had various size pieces and a few were even cut into animal shapes.  I especially enjoyed this one because some of my ancestors came from Lancaster County, PA in this very era.



Evergreens of Lancaster County by Jane Wooster Scott

As you can see I love the nostalgic scenic and architectural landscapes and I find myself "living in the picture".  I imagine what it would be like to really live in these beautiful spots as I find and fit the little pieces together.



Twins of Good Heart by Anthony Kleen

Realistically though, I doubt that I would actually trade electricity, running water, central heat and air, cars and pick-ups, computers, cell phones, refrigerators and all my other modern conveniences for a rustic life no matter how gorgeous the scenery.  So I guess I'll just be content to puzzle the beauty instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment